About the International and Exchange Student Centre
International students at Western can take advantage of the International and Exchange Student Centre offerings - a full range of services and programs specifically tailored to meet the needs of international students and enhance their academic, social, and cultural experience at the university:
- International Student Pre-Arrival Guide - On-line guide to assist you in getting started with your "Western" journey
- Reception and Orientation Service - IESC Welcome Team available to assist and support newly arrived international students with questions about settling in. Pick up your copy of the International Student Orientation Packet and the International Student Handbook
- Peer Guide Program for all new students - Peer Guides provide friendly support and assistance with cultural and transition issues
- Year-Round Orientation - Social, cultural and informative events offered
- The International and Exchange Student Centre (WSS, Room 2120) - an information centre and a comfortable lounge/meeting space
- International Exchange Program - Coordinates and supports students involved in incoming and outgoing exchange opportunities
- Individual Assistance - Individual assistance with Canadian immigration and employment regulations, financial, cultural, social and personal concerns
- English Conversation Program for students (and spouses) who want to enhance spoken English skills (Conversation Circles and Groups available)
- International Student Network - Stay updated with e-mails about our events, activities, and programs offered throughout the year
- International Student Emergency Loan Program (short-term loans of up to $500 available) and International Student Bursary Program
- International Student Work Opportunities Program (ISWOP) - On-campus work study opportunities
- Income Tax Clinic - Information sessions and individual assistance with Income Tax forms
- Volunteer Opportunities - Gain volunteer experience in a cross-cultural setting by assisting with the coordination and implemention of the various activities and programs
- International Connections Newsletter - 2 editions published each year
- On-line Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org
519-661-3031 (To book an appointment with the International and Exchange Student Centre)
In Person or by Mail:
International and Exchange Student Centre
We are located in Room 2120 in the Western Student Services Building.
Our service is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday during the academic year and from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. during the summer months (May - August).
NOTE: The International and Exchange Student Centre will be closed during the following statutory and university-wide holidays.
- Advisor & Coordinator: Rose Aquino
- Internationalization Programming Coordinator: Ashley Kewayosh Samuel
- International Transitions Advisor: Diana Reynolds
- IESC Transitions Project Coordinator: Francesca Mancuso
- International Student Advisor & VIP Program Coordinator: Sandra Pehilj
- IESC Programs Coordinator: Fabiana Tepedino
- International Education Intern: Kimberly Cura
International Learning Staff
- Manager, International Learning: Lise Laporte
- International Learning Coordinator: Bibiana Alcala Valencia
- Global Engagement Coordinator: Eve Court
- International Learning Coordinator: Rebecca Denby
Every year, the International and Exchange Student Centre recruits volunteers who assist with coordinating, planning and implementing the activities and programs offered by the International and Exchange Student Centre. We recruit over 250 students each year who volunteer as Peer Guides for newly arrived international students, English Conversation Leaders, International Student Activity Coordinators, Newsletter Editors, Global Citizenship Program, and International Income Tax Preparation Volunteers.
For more information on volunteer opportuntities with the International and Exchange Student Centre, please visit our Volunteer Opportunities page.
Last Updated: January 30, 2013
International Experiences and Opportunities at Western
Also from this web page:
Join the Conversation
All information disclosed by students to IESC will be kept confidential. It will not be shared with family, university staff, course instructors, or others without written permission and will not become part of academic records.
The International and Exchange Student Centre is experienced in working with diverse populations.