International Income Tax Preparation (IITP)
- 40 International Income Tax Preparation (IITP) Volunteer positions available
- To assist International Students in filing their Canadian Income Tax forms during the Income Tax (drop-in) Clinic for International Students held in March.
- A minimum of 18 hours total (6 hours per week) during the Income Tax Clinic weeks (March 10 - March 28, 2014).
- Training: Approximately 2.5 days in total (see dates below). Volunteers must be available to attend all of the training dates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend and participate in the various International Income Tax Preparation Volunteer Training Sessions (see below for details and dates).
- Assess the specific needs of international students with regards to completing their Canadian Income Tax forms.
- Assist and teach International Students (individually or in small groups) and their spouses/partners how to complete their Canadian Income Tax Forms during the Income Tax Clinic held in March. (Volunteers do not complete the forms for the student).
- Complete and submit an evaluation form at the end of the program.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and helping skills.
- Cross-cultural awareness, understanding, and sensitivity.
- Ability to communicate with and relate to international students.
- Enthusiasm, dependability, and willingness to learn.
- Previous experience in completing Income Tax Returns would be an asset but not required.
- Previous experience in working with international students a definite asset.
- Learn how to complete your own income taxes and become familiar with international student tax issues.
- Personal satisfaction of having helped international students with their Canadian income tax returns.
- Enhance your cross-cultural communication skills.
- Skill development/enhancement; experience for future employment.
- Training and receive a Volunteer Certificate at the end of the program from Canada Revenue Agency.
- Letter of Recommendation available upon request.
- Basic Income Tax Training Part 1– Saturday, February 8, 2014. This training session will cover the general information on how to complete basic income tax and benefit returns (1 full day of training on a Saturday).
- Income Tax Training Part 2 – Saturday, March 1, 2014. This training session will cover topics on cross-cultural communication, review of income tax topics and advanced practice examples. (1 full day of training on a Saturday.)
- Additional training and examples as needed (2 hour session) – date to be announced.
What some of our previous volunteers have said about the program:
- “It was great to see the students’ smiles and to help them out with something that tends to be very confusing.”
- “It was a great opportunity to both learn more about taxes and help international students with what can be a confusing and frustrating endeavor if done alone.”
- “It was a very positive experience – I felt appreciated by the students and felt that the training prepared me well for the situations.”
- “I enhanced my teaching and communicational skills. Learning to convey confusing tax concepts in a clear way is an important skill to have. Especially when your job is helping and informing others.”
- “This experience is really greatly helpful. It is like a win-win game because not only I have learnt how to do it but also I can help others with what I have learnt.”
- “It’s my second year doing Income Tax Clinic. The more I do it, the better I like it. I enjoyed my experience here because I got to help a lot of people and also a chance to meet new people.”
- “It is the most exciting activity to have during exam period. I loved explaining to different individuals their tax situations. Also love the friendly and helping environment IITP created. It allowed me to learn a lot.”
- “I learned a lot and definitely felt like I helped others and made a positive difference.:)”
How to Apply:
The application deadline has passed.
Thank you for your interest!
Selection is based on applications and interviews. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All those selected for an interview will be contacted by Friday, January 31, 2014 to be scheduled for an interview.
Questions? Contact us at 519-661-2111 ext. 85908 or send an e-mail to email@example.com for further information.
Application deadline: Friday, January 17, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.
Last updated: Jan 23, 2013
Also from this web page:
Join the Conversation
All information disclosed by students to IESC will be kept confidential. It will not be shared with family, university staff, course instructors, or others without written permission and will not become part of academic records.
The International and Exchange Student Centre is experienced in working with diverse populations.