Applying to Become a Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant of Canada

Applying to Become a Permanent Resident

(Landed Immigrant) of Canada

Immigration Information and Assistance at the IESC

Please visit the following website for information about available immigration-related services:

Please note: The IESC can only provide general information about Permanent Residency.  If you require legal assistance with a Permanent Residency application, you can contact a lawyer or certified immigration consultant.

International Graduate students are advised to contact Western’s Community Legal Services for assistance with Permanent Residency applications and documentation.

The Law Society of Upper Canada offers a referral service for a free 30-minute consultation with a lawyer in Ontario.  You can contact the referral service by phone at: 1-800-268-8326; or you can apply online at: 


About Becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada

While studying in Canada, you may become interested in applying to become a Permanent Resident (also known as a Landed Immigrant). “There are several things you should consider before you apply to be a permanent resident.

If you want to immigrate to Canada, there are a few different ways to apply. You will need to decide which immigration program will work best for you and your family.” (

For more information visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Immigrating to Canada web page.

There are several streams through which individuals can apply for Permanent Residency.

For information on eligibility, requirements and application process for the various categories, visit:

Back to Top

Federal Skilled Worker Program

As of November 5, 2011, international PhD students were eligible to submit applications for processing as federal skilled workers.

On May 4, 2013, the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) was revised and re-opened (

Note: “Between May 4, 2013, and April 30, 2014, [CIC] will consider no more than 5,000 complete federal skilled worker applications from the eligible occupations stream for processing and 1,000 from the PhD stream. Within the 5,000 cap, we will consider no more than 300 applications per eligible occupation for processing within this same time frame. There is no cap on applications with a valid job offer.” (

Basic Eligibility

“[CIC] can only process your application if you:

  • have one year of continuous full-time (or an equal amount of continuous part-time) paid work experience
  • have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
  • are an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet the factors below.

Also, no matter which of the three groups above you apply under, you must:

  • include the results of your official language test showing that you meet the minimum language threshold (Canadian Language Benchmark 7) in all four language skill areas (speaking, listening, reading and writing) when you apply, and
  • include either a completed Canadian educational credential or a completed foreign educational credential with an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an approved organization, and
  • have at least one year of continuous full-time (or an equal amount in continuous part-time) paid work experience within the last ten years in the primary occupation you state in your application.

Remember that even if your application is eligible to be processed, you must meet all of the other FSW program requirements, such as meeting the pass mark on the selection grid and having enough money to support you and your family in Canada.”

To find out more about the application requirements and to see if you would qualify as a Skilled Worker, visit the following websites:

For frequently asked questions about the FSWP, see:

To determine how many points are needed to qualify to immigrate as a Skilled Worker, visit

Back to Top

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class is “for temporary workers and graduates with Canadian credentials who have gained skilled work experience in Canada and wish to apply for permanent residence” (

Basic Eligibility

“You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
  • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
  • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).”


“Between November 9, 2013 and October 31, 2014, CIC will accept a maximum of 12,000 complete applications under the Canadian Experience Class. Within this cap, there will be sub-caps of 200 applications for each National Occupational Classification B applications. You cannot use work experience in the following occupations to qualify for the CEC:

  • Cooks (NOC 6322)
  • Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
  • Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
  • Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
  • Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
  • Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)”


“NOC 0 and A (managerial and professional) occupations will not be sub-capped, but they will be subject to the overall cap of 12,000 applications.” (

To find out more about the application requirements and to see if you would qualify under the Canadian Experience Class, visit the following websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

For more frequently asked questions about the Canadian Experience Class, see:

Back to Top

Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program

“To apply under the Provincial Nominee Program, applicants must be nominated by a Canadian province or territory. Because the criteria for provincial nomination are determined by the individual provinces and territories, they can change without notice. Please check the website of the appropriate province or territory to find the most up-to-date information.”

Find out more about the application requirements and to see if you would qualify under the Opportunities Ontario Provincial Nominee Program:

For general information on the Provincial Nominee Program, visit the following websites:

For frequently asked questions about Opportunities Ontario, see:

If you have questions about the Opportunities Ontario Provincial Nominee program, please contact:

Back to Top

Attention International GRADUATE Students:

For specific assistance with Permanent Residency applications and documentation please visit Western's Community Legal Services which provides legal services at Western for Graduate Students).

Western University, Faculty of Law
Community Legal Services
1151 Richmond Street, Law Building Room 120
London, ON N6A 3K7

Telephone: 519-661-3352
Fax: 519-661-3428

“Immigration Group Information (IGI) sessions are scheduled monthly, and students can register via CLS Scheduler. Individual appointments with the lawyer or CLS caseworker can be arranged subsequent to attendance at an information session. CLS Immigration services may also include assistance in drafting and swearing affidavits and preparing notarized copies of your documents in preparation for the above services.”

Back to Top

Canadian Immigration Seminar - Permanent Residency in CANADA and Working, Studying & Living in ONTARIO

Every year, the International and Exchange Student Centre hosts a seminar on Canadian Immigration. This session will include topics such as Work Permits, immigration to Canada, employment, and other opportunities in London and Ontario. The seminar is presented by representatives from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Ontario Opportunities - Provincial Nominee Program, the London Economic Development Corporation, and WIL Employment Connections.
Download a PDF copy of the presentations from the Fall 2013 seminar:

For more information, please visit our events page.

Back to Top

Community Links - Services for Immigrants and Newcomers

Back to Top

Last Updated: November 11, 2013

Also from this web page:

Join the Conversation

facekbook twitter



All information disclosed by students to IESC will be kept confidential. It will not be shared with family, university staff, course instructors, or others without written permission and will not become part of academic records.

The International and Exchange Student Centre is experienced in working with diverse populations.

SDC Areas