Visas & Immigration Main

Visas & Immigration


Immigration Information and Assistance at the IESC

Please visit the following website for information about available immigration-related services:

Notice about the Collection of Biometrics

Effective from September 4, 2013, citizens from designated countries are required to provide biometrics (photograph and finger print) each time they apply for a visa, study permit or work permit for Canada.  However, biometrics are not required if you are “already in Canada and are eligible to apply for a visitor (temporary resident) visa, study permit or work permit to an office in Canada.  (

Please visit the following website for more information:



New Changes to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Procedures!
Effective December 15, 2012

With the global launch of CIC’s Electronic Applications (e-Apps) for Temporary Resident programs, applicants for Temporary Resident Visas, Visitor Extensions, Study Permits and Work Permits, whether they are in Canada or abroad, are now able to submit their applications electronically.  Through the e-Apps system, you will be able to pay online, submit your applications online and upload your supporting documents.  

Note:  The new e-Apps system is not mandatory.  There is still the option of submitting paper applications to a Case Processing Centre, Canadian Visa Office or a Visa Application Centre (VAC).  Applicants for permanent residence, permanent resident travel documents and temporary resident permits, are not eligible to apply online at this time.

Application Process

There are normally two options for submitting applications: A) online applications and B) paper applications.  To check the difference in processing times for these two options, please see the CIC website:  

A) Online
- All required documents can be uploaded and submitted online. Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies is required for the online application. To complete the online payment, applicants will need a VISA, MasterCard or American Express credit card.

B) Paper
- Paper applications can be sent by mail to the designated address.

Using the E-Application System

STEP 1: Complete the Come to Canada Wizard questions.

Based on your answers, the Come to Canada Wizard will determine what you are eligible to apply for and if you are eligible to apply online.  If you are eligible to apply online, you will be provided a Personal Checklist Code (PCC) and a specific document checklist for the application.  If you are not eligible to apply using the online application, you will be directed to the paper-based forms. (

Note: If you are presently in Canada, you should select ‘Canada’ as your current country of residence. (Country of residence means “[t]he country a person is living in. A person’s country of residence may be different from their country or countries of citizenship.”

You can access the Come to Canada (C2C) Wizard at:

STEP 2: Read the CIC Instruction Guide

Carefully review the application instructions in the relevant CIC Instruction Guide.

Study Permit Extensions (Instruction Guide IMM 5552):

Temporary Resident Visas (Instruction Guide IMM 5256):

Work Permits for students (Instruction Guide IMM 5580):

Work Permits for spouses of international students (Instruction Guide IMM 5553):

STEP 3: Register and Login to your MyCIC account

If you are submitting an online application for the first time, you will need to register and login using the secure GCKey or Sign-in Partner, then enroll for a MyCIC account:

Note: If you are applying for an Off-Campus Work Permit, it is essential that you enter your Client Identification Number when you create your MyCIC account. You must provide your Client ID Number in order to be able to submit a request for an Eligibility Verification Number (EVN) for an Off-Campus Work Permit.

Your Client ID Number (also known as your UCI) “has four numbers, a hyphen and four more numbers. (Example: 0000-0000).” You can find this number on your study permit. (

STEP 4: Complete the e-App online, using your MyCIC account

Complete and upload the application forms and supporting documents to your MyCIC, according to the document checklist generated in Step 1 above.

Supporting documents must be scanned and then uploaded to your MyCIC account. For each required supporting document only one file can be uploaded. Multiple pages (e.g., several documents to prove financial support), can be scanned together, and saved and uploaded as one file.

NOTE:All documents must be provided in either English or French. If you have a document in another language, please provide a copy of the document in the original language with an English or French translation.” (

NOTE regarding Temporary Resident Visa applications

If you are applying for a Temporary Resident Visa, you will receive further communication from CIC once your application has been processed as to where and how to send your passport so that your visa can be issued. Applicants should “NOT send in their passport until CIC requests them to send it in.”(

STEP 5: Pay the application fee

“Once the application is complete, applicants will be required to provide their credit card information to pay the applicable fees to the Receiver General of Canada portal. Applicants will then be automatically directed back to their MyCIC account. Clients who are fee exempt, and can upload proof of why they are fee exempt (i.e. an explanation), will bypass the e-Payment step.”

STEP 6: Submit your application

Upon submission of your application, you will receive instant confirmation of receipt. You will then automatically receive an acknowledgement receipt generated by GCMS (Global Case Management System) which will contain your application number.

Back to top

Submitting Paper Applications

Information and application materials are available on the CIC website for the following permits and visas:

Study Permit extensions:  

New Study Permit applications:

Temporary Resident Visas (from within Canada):

Temporary Resident Visas (from outside of Canada):

Work Permits (including Off-Campus Work Permits, Post-Graduation Work Permits, Co-op Work Permits, and open Work Permits for spouses of international students):

Back to top

Checking Processing Times and the Status of your Application

Current processing times are available online at:

Applicants may check the status of their application by calling the Citizenship and Immigration Canada's Call Centre at the following toll-free telephone number: 1-888-242-2100. The Call Centre automated telephone service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and allows applicants to listen to pre-recorded information about Citizenship and Immigration programs, order an application kit, and check the status of an application. Call Centre agents are available to answer questions Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except for statutory holidays. (You must choose one of the first five recorded options before you can press “0” to speak to an agent.)

Back to top

For More Information and Assistance

Back to top

Last Updated: September 30, 2013

Also from this web page:

Join the Conversation

facekbook twitter



All information disclosed by students to IESC will be kept confidential. It will not be shared with family, university staff, course instructors, or others without written permission and will not become part of academic records.

The International and Exchange Student Centre is experienced in working with diverse populations.

SDC Areas