Postdocs and graduate students are able to to make an appointment for a free 50-minute session with one of our senior writing advisors. You are welcome to bring any kind of academic writing, such as research proposals, grant applications, professional development plans, dissertation or thesis chapters, reports, and manuscripts. You can also bring professional writing such as CVs, letters of intent, and graduate school and job applications. Our advisors will provide useful and informed feedback whatever your stage in the writing process. We can help you get started, work on a thesis statement, build an outline, critique a draft, focus on stylistic and structural issues, and review completed work. You are also welcome to come in for a brainstorming session.
The Writing Support Centre offers free one-to-one appointments to all members of Western's community. Postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, undergraduate students, faculty, and staff members all use our services.
There are two ways to book an appointment:
- By phone: 519-661-3655
- In person: at Room 4100, Western Student Services Building in the Student Development Centre
High Demand Times, Cancellations, No-Show Policy
- Appointments are in high demand, especially during November and March. Make your appointment well in advance to secure your place.
- If you need to cancel an appointment, call 519-661-3655, and let us know as soon as possible so your time slot can be made available for another student. Thanks!
- If you just fail to show up for your appointment, you are considered a No-Show. This will affect your ability to make future appointments. After two No-Shows, students will not be able to book an appointment until the following term.
- Note that we do not accept bookings via email.
- Students are allowed one one-to-one writing session per day - either a drop-in session at Weldon Library or a booked appointment at our main centre in Western Student Services Building (WSS4130).
Appointment Hours and Location
- Monday to Friday, 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Check in at SDC reception, Western Student Services Building Room 4100.
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.